Saturday, November 22, 2008

silhouettes

My in-laws boarded the plane back to sunny Arizona and I am cleaning and preparing for Thanksgiving now. Back to life as usual. I will post some of my current projects that I got done while they were here once I get the sheets all washed. But until then you must see my fabulous Christmas project.

Ok, so I might be a little biased since it's a picture of my son but I still think this is FANTASTIC! I kept seeing all these fabulous ideas for creating a silhouette at home and just had to try it. I think it turned out so good that I am making more for grandmas, aunt, etc. And the best part is that it cost me under $2. I picked up the frame at the Dollar Tree for $1. Here's what I did.
  1. I took a picture of my son 's profile and made sure the background was light
  2. I uploaded the picture and printed it on card stock in Word once it was the right size (I wanted it to be for 5x7 frame so I shrunk it down)
  3. I cut out the picture and and painted it black with acrylic craft paint (might need two coats)
  4. let it dry
  5. tape the silhouette to a white piece of computer paper (make sure no tape shows)
  6. scan it in your computer
  7. save it as a jpeg and crop it if needed
  8. add a name or date if you like (I used Microsoft Word for most of this)
  9. print it out once it's finished on card stock
  10. trim it to fit your frame
  11. Voila! You are done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the little tutorial! I've been wanting to do some silouette projects!